My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Hopeful author and political activist.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Prop 100

There is a Proposition on the ballot right now that would increase the sales tax here in Arizona to help schools not lose the devastating amounts of money they will lose without this sales tax. I am curious to know how you feel about this. I feel like there are many people who support the proposition. I also feel kind of heartless, especially because I am in the field of education, but I am opposed to the tax, and this is why:

Once a tax is added, it seems like it never goes away. I think this is supposed to be a temporary tax, but I don't know if I really believe that's what it will be. Or even if it is temporary, what will happen when the increase is dropped?
I feel like we probably have money to do what we need to, but we just have too much of a bureaucracy, and the money doesn't go where it is really needed. I wonder if it is going to take things crashing in a major way to get us to get the money where it really needs to go and to cut out the things - or jobs - we don't need.

The reasons I feel bad about not voting for the tax are these:
Without the tax, there will be way less money for the kids - like, A LOT less money for the kids. Even if the proposition passes, there will still be less money for the kids, just not nearly as much less as there will be without it. Education is important and I believe society will only benefit from offering children a good education.
A lot of teachers are being let go. If I was one of those teachers, would I still hold to my convictions?

I think this proposition is a hard one, but I feel like adding taxes just perpetuates the problems by allowing us to be less responsible with what we have. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Shay said...

My dad and I talked about this. My question was, why does the money HAVE to come from education? Can't they find money to cut somewhere else? Why do they have to cut jobs to save money? I agree with you that "we probably have money to do what we need to, but we just have too much of a bureaucracy, and the money doesn't go where it is really needed." Prop 100 is tying the voters hands, because if they vote it down they are saying they don't care about education, but if they vote for it they are adding more taxes that will probably never go away. They should never have presented it the way they did.

April 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Icanfinallydoit said...

I think that adding more taxes for more money is not going to solve the problem. I think the money still won't go to where it needs to go.

April 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home